Marketers say that content is king or queen, as well as constantly inventing new buzzwords. However, the reality is Facebook is the only social media site that is even above being king or queen. Indeed Facebook is the F@cking boss and here are 10+1 reasons why:
1) Facebook invented a KPI that has become the key metric for big and small brands all over the world. This is called NUMBER OF FANS / LIKES, and now its value is becoming more and more pointless. Note, the organic reach of fans is now about 2% and Facebook is encouraging brands to go wider and target Facebook users by interests and demographics. Why should I then build a community on Facebook?
2) Facebook is the only new media that dared to compare themselves in reach with TV and mass media and they are actually very strong among young and adult crowds.
3) Facebook has confused the entire online paid media industry and clients by basing its CTR in clicks inside Facebook and not clicks through an external site. While the post below got 17,282 clicks, only 51 are clicks on the external link (Standard Clicks as considered in the industry)
4) Facebook is the only site with big enough balls to dare kill a key metric that was an industry standard: PTAT (People Talking about this). If you download a new Facebook Insights report you will be surprised when you realise PTAT is not there anymore.
5) Facebook is the only social media site that permits itself to change the terms and conditions of things whenever they want and do it on their terms. Who remembers the T&C regarding competition and promotions? They went from saying “It must run through a tab” to “Just do it as a post”. Why? Because they realised that all the money that brands were spending on creating a tab could be invested on a promoted post which will generate higher impact and engagement (and more revenue for FB).
6) Facebook made us create different assets in different places (Apps, Tabs, Content, Right Colum, etc) to finally say that the only and best place to host content is the NewsFeed. Indeed, the competence there has increased dramatically and became a ferocious battle. The question now is What’s causing this decline in post visibility?
1. People have more friends. More friends equal more potential relevant posts. More potential posts equal less room for brand posts.
2. People are following more brands. As users like more and more brands, competition for newsfeed space has increased.
3. Make room for the news. Facebook recently changed their News Feed algorithm to allow more new content to show on users’ feeds, again, making the window of opportunity for brands even smaller.
7) Facebook has deleted FREQUENCY as a key metric, while it becomes more and more important for marketers.
8) Facebook is the only site that dares hide it to make it very complicated for brands to spend their money in a smarter way, and just target fans. While running an advertising campaign for “fans only” is supposed to be the most effective (Already impacted and kind of loyal), Facebook encourages brands to run ads in a very broader way by targeting Facebook users and paying by CPM
9) As everybody already knows, Facebook is the only that dares decrease the organic reach by 40% and deliver the message to barely 2% of your Fan base. The question now is what’s the point to have a community then?
10) As Mobile was Facebook’s main pending nightmare, they decided to buy two of the most popular apps ever in less than a year at any price: Instagram and Whatsapp
12) Whether we want to admit or not, Mark Zuckerberg is one of the smartest guys on the planet and the dream of most of us wish we were living…
And now, please feel to share or comment